If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
If you’re looking to further your career as a basketball referee, wearing the prescribed uniform is a must for you. Getting into the NBA professional league is not an easy task. You need to prepare yourself for the work you have to put in running as a referee. Which is why wearing the best basketball referee shoes helps out a lot.
- Best Basketball Referee Shoes
- Best Overall Basketball Referee Shoes: Nike Men’s Air Monarch IV Cross Trainer
- Best for the Money Basketball Referee Shoes: ASICS Men’s GT-1000 7 Running Shoes
- Best Cheap Basketball Referee Shoes: New Balance Men’s 623v3 Training Shoe
- Best Cushion for Basketball Referee Shoes: Reebok Men’s ZigWild TR 5.0 Running Shoe
- Best Running Basketball Referee Shoes: PUMA Men’s Cell Regulate SL Sneaker
- Qualities of the Best Basketball Referee Shoes
Best Basketball Referee Shoes
If you’re looking to work in the NBA as a referee, you should know that the NBA forbids referees to sign endorsement deals. NBA referees are responsible for buying their own shoes and it’s harder than you think.
Referees need to wear shoes that are completely black. Any logos should be blackened out or removed. Add to the problem is there are no shoe manufacturers that make shoes designed for basketball officiating. This makes it harder to find one.
If you’re refereeing to the local community, kids, or high school tournaments, it’s important that you look professional no matter what. Black shoes are a standard for basketball referees. It looks more professional than other colors.
Best Overall Basketball Referee Shoes: Nike Men’s Air Monarch IV Cross Trainer
The Nike Men’s Air Monarch IV Cross Trainer sports an all-black colorway that’s perfect for basketball referees. It offers a professional look. It also packs a lot of features that can help you as a basketball referee.
As a basketball referee, you’ll appreciate the comfort these shoes provide. You can even use them for other training activities like morning walks, exercise, and jogging to keep you fit and healthy for refereeing. It’s not just a pair of shoes for refereeing.
The Nike Air Monarch is known as “the king of dad shoes.” This is because of its design and 90s vibe it gives off.
However, it speaks of quality is known as Nike’s best-selling model. Many buyers even bought another pair because of the quality of these shoes.
The outsole is made of non-marking solid rubber. You won’t leave any marks or residue on the hardwood court as you referee for a game. The outsole extends to the toe box for added protection.
The outsole uses a multi-pattern design suitable to use on both indoor and outdoor basketball courts. You won’t have to worry about buying 2 pairs of shoes to use for indoor and outdoor courts.
The midsole of the Air Monarch IV is made of full-length Phylon. This is from ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA) foam so it’s guaranteed durable.
The midsole uses Nike’s Air-Sole technology in the entire length. Thanks to this, the shoe is able to absorb impact because of the pressurized air inside. This is perfect for basketball referees who are required to be on the court for 48 minutes (for pro leagues) and run most of the time.
- Versatile shoe for people with wide feet
- Leather upper features overlays for support and perforations for airflow
- Foam Phylon midsole and full-length encapsulated Air-Sole unit cushions for comfort and support
- Mesh shoe tongue for breathability
- Solid rubber outsole usable to any basketball court surface
- MEN'S LEATHER SNEAKERS: Leather upper features overlays for support and perforations for airflow.
- COMFORTABLE TRAINING: Foam Phylon midsole and full-length encapsulated Air-Sole unit cushions for...
- NATURAL MOTION: Solid rubber outsole is durable and provides traction over varied surfaces.
Best for the Money Basketball Referee Shoes: ASICS Men’s GT-1000 7 Running Shoes
The ASICS GT-1000 7 offers a combination of support and stability for a well-rounded basketball referee shoes. The GT-1000 7 is a budget stability model shoe from ASICS that performance really well.
Like all the other shoes, the GT-1000 7 also comes with an all-black colorway for a professional basketball referee look.
These shoes boast a lot of stability. They have excellent stability.
The GT-1000 7 uses a thermal plastic midfoot unit that’s equipped with FlyteFoam heel wedge. The FlyteFoam technology provides bounce back and responsiveness through organic super fibers that help reduce pressure off the feet.
The midsole is made of SpevaFoam. It improves bounce-back ability and increases the support of the shoe.
These shoes aren’t suited for high-arch feet. Consider buying an orthotics insole if you want to wear these pair.
Overall, the shoes are great for basketball referees who like their shoes sturdy and offer balance especially when they’re running around most of the time.
- Shaft measures approximately Low-Top from arch
- Impact Guidance System technology enhances the foot’s natural gait from heel strike to toe-off
- FlyteFoam midsole technology provides excellent bounce back and responsiveness
- SpevaFoam midsole material improves bounce-back and decreases midsole breakdown
- I.G.S (Impact Guidance System) Technology - ASICS design philosophy that employs linked componentry...
- SpevaFoam 45 Lasting - Employs 45 degree full length SpevaFoam 45 lasting material for a soft...
- Reflectivity - Contains reflective materials designed to enhance visibility during low light hours.
Best Cheap Basketball Referee Shoes: New Balance Men’s 623v3 Training Shoe
The New Balance 623v3 Training Shoe is a great shoe for basketball referees. Like all other shoes featured here, this shoe also comes in an all-black colorway that is perfect for official basketball games.
The shoe uses a non-marking outsole. You can wear them on an indoor and outdoor basketball surface.
When it comes to cushioning, 623v3 shoes use special cushioning systems like ABZORB and IMEVA. They are placed in the midsole and works to enhance stability and shock absorption.
The insole is removable. This allows you to place specialized insoles if you’re having problems with your foot.
For comfort, the 623v3 uses soft mesh lining, padded tongue, and collar. You won’t feel discomfort in your feet as you referee.
The 623v3 shoes also use the QUIX flexibility technology and are placed in the outsole of the shoe. It helps move your feet freely without worrying about injuries.
The shoes are durable and can last you for about 1-2 seasons depending on usage and court condition. If you constantly clean your shoes for grip, it might even last for more than 2 seasons.
It uses solid leather and suede materials which are very durable. The outsole is made of durable rubber compound so it won’t lose its traction that easily.
You’d want to use these shoes for basketball refereeing and comfort wear. You don’t want to use this as a style or fashion shoes as the look isn’t that good.
The shoe would work well as a basketball referee shoes. They can be used to do any light tasks such as walking, jogging, or a daily workout as a basketball referee.
- Leather upper for flexibility and durability
- ABZORB and IMEVA for improved cushioning
- Traditional lacing keeps the fit snug
- All-around shoes good for basketball referees who like to do workouts
- Next-Level Comfort: The 623v3 training shoe from New Balance treats your feet to all-day comfort...
- Athletic Design: Move with style in the 623v3 New Balance training shoes. The 623v3 has an athletic...
- Reliable Impact Resistance: ABZORB cushioning in the midsole of these comfortable training shoes...
Best Cushion for Basketball Referee Shoes: Reebok Men’s ZigWild TR 5.0 Running Shoe
Reebok ZigWild TR 5.0 is part of the ZigWild shoe line which is categorized as running shoes. The shoe comes in an all-black colorway making it a good option as a basketball referee shoe.
The main feature of the shoe is Reebok’s ZigTech outsole technology with a particular zigzag pattern.
The zigzag pattern works in absorbing the impact from the heel strike and distributes the energy to the rest of the foot. It relieves some of the pressure from your heel area and gives you a better running movement.
A polyurethane foam comprises the midsole of the ZigWild TR 5.0. The lightweight materials provide comfort and flexibility inside your shoes. The reduction of the bulkiness improves your court feel as your feet are low to the ground.
A removable sock liner offers additional cushioning and support for your foot. If you have problems with your foot like experiencing pain you can replace the sock liner with specialized orthotics.
The upper part of the shoe is made of lightweight mesh. It’s breathable and provides great comfort.
The shoe looks bulkier because of the zigzag outsole design but thanks to it that the traction of the shoe is excellent. You’ll feel comfortable as you move around the court as if you’re “walking on clouds”.
- ZigTech outsole provides great traction and impact absorption
- Lightweight mesh for breathability and comfort
- Underfoot cushioning gives support to the midsole area
- Low-cut ankle collar for increased mobility
Best Running Basketball Referee Shoes: PUMA Men’s Cell Regulate SL Sneaker
The PUMA Cell Regulate SL sneaker is made for running. It caters to people with neutral foot motion. However, it’s also a great sneaker for basketball referees.
The shoe comes in an all-black colorway with the word PUMA barely visible on it.
The PUMA Cell Regulate uses EverTrack rubber which improves the durability and traction of the outsole. It grips consistently on indoor and outdoor courts and adds additional cushioning for comfortable wear.
An ArchTec midsole guides the foot for a natural transition from the touchdown to the toe-off phase. A 10CELL support at the heel area gives additional comfort.
There’s also a Softfoam dual-density footbed for added cushion. Basketball referees will feel worry-free and comfortable as they officiate a game.
The shoe uses a lace-up closure system to ensure the shoe will lock in your foot in place. An elastic band around the forefoot adds a fit snug and support and doesn’t feel uncomfortable around the forefoot area.
The upper is made of breathable mesh that’s soft and flexible for a fresh and comfortable feel during officiating.
The shoe also has a great look so you can wear them for fashion and casual occasions. Overall, the PUMA Cell Regulate sneaker is a solid pickup for basketball referee shoes.
- EverTrack rubber outsole for durability and traction on the base of the shoe
- ArchTec midsole makes moving a lot easier and comfortable
- Softfoam dual-density footbed for added cushion
- Lace-up closure system ensures the shoes are a snug fit
- Run-Train Performance Sneaker
- Visible Technology
Qualities of the Best Basketball Referee Shoes
As a basketball referee, these are the features that you should consider when choosing a basketball referee shoe.
Basketball referees should prioritize comfort out of everything else. After all, you’ll be on the court for at least 48 minutes (professional league game-time).
Wearing uncomfortable shoes can affect how you call the game. Look for the upper part of the shoe and insole and what materials they’re made of to know if shoes are comfortable.
Some shoes also feature exclusive technology that they claim adds to the level of comfort of the shoe. Look for reviews of this to check if they’re true or not.
Basketball games are long and unlike players, referees aren’t allowed to sub out. They will be on the court for the whole duration of the game.
There are breaks at every end of a quarter, halftime, and timeouts. However, your shoes will be used throughout the game.
You need shoes that are durable that can last you for one or two seasons.
You don’t want to officiate in a game with a broken pair of shoes. Bring another pair of shoes if you want to be on the safe side.
Look for materials that are durable but keep in mind that it also needs to be comfortable.
If you want to move up and officiate in higher leagues then you should follow proper shoe guidelines in terms of how they look. Wearing all-black shoes for officiating is the first step of refereeing in the NCAA and NBA.
Basketball referee shoes should be comfortable and easy to wear. Think of it as shoes for jogging or running. Your shoes should look professional to make you look like an authority.