As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Shuttlecocks are an essential piece to the sport of badminton. There are many things to consider when purchasing the best shuttlecock, from the size, shape, weight, and material used. If you don’t know where to start or are looking for a second opinion, this article is for you.
- Our Top Shuttlecocks Reviews
- Features to Consider for the Best Shuttlecock
- Frequently Asked Questions
Our Top Shuttlecocks Reviews
There are many different shuttlecock brands with sophisticated technology in the market, and occasionally new ones pop up claiming to have unique and improved features. Here is the result I got after doing in-depth research, on the right shuttle to buy.
YONEX Mavis 2000 Nylon Tournament Shuttlecock
The Yonex Mavis 2000 Nylon Tournament Shuttlecock is unarguably the best in the market at the moment. Made in Japan, this high-quality shuttle has several unique features and improvements that set it above any other brand of shuttlecock in the market.
Feather shuttlecocks have advantages and disadvantages due to their fragile nature they will degrade over time. The Yonex Mavis 2000 nylon provides a solution for this; made of high-quality nylon for durability. The Yonex Mavis 2000 lasts up to five times more than Zhenan 12-Pack Feather Shuttlecocks.
Compared to its predecessors like the Mavis 500, the Yonex Mavis 2000 is suitable for both beginners and professionals as it can withstand any power hit, and controlling its trajectory is easier. The only downside of the product is it is not as fast as the Zhenan 12-pack advanced.
The Yonex Mavis 2000 is available in different speeds; slow, medium, and fast. Its appearance resembles a real feather shuttlecock streamlined towards the head, improving its speed. The head is made of high-quality cork, properly balanced to center its center of gravity, making its accuracy and stability excellent.
- Made of high-quality material, making it durable.
- Comes with a storage container for safekeeping.
- Improved flight features from the streamlined body and center of gravity.
- Does not offer the fastest speeds like the Zhenan 12-pack advanced.
- It’s only ideal for indoor courts
- synthetic feather shuttle with the revolutionary wing rib structure
- for recreational and competitive play
- comes in 1/2 dz tube
ZHENAN 12-Pack Advanced Nylon Feather Shuttlecocks
The Zhenan 12-pack advanced nylon feather shuttlecocks are an excellent alternative for those who want the best deal. As the name suggests, they come in a pack of twelve yellow shuttlecocks.
Just like the Yonex Mavis 2000 Nylon, they are very light, making their movement quicker, allowing for players to swerve swiftly. Their feather-like structures make flights easier. However, the skirt pattern in the shuttlecock can be responsible for its accuracy.
They are made from high-quality nylon, hence durable. They also have excellent stability when hit making their accuracy almost perfect. These Nylon Shuttlecocks are quite thick, resilient to beating, soft and tough, and can endure significant impact forces.
The Zhenan 12-pack advanced are multipurpose making them suitable for advanced players and amateurs. Their sturdy structure makes the ball bounce; this makes them better for training or regular casual play.
They also have high air pressure to make them fly higher. Due to their rigidity, they are not as flexible as the Yonex Mavis 2000 Nylon or Zhenan 12-Pack Feather Shuttlecocks.
- Great stability, just like the Yonex Mavis 2000
- It is suitable for both indoor and outdoor sporting events.
- High-quality nylon material, making it durable
- Accuracy is not perfect because of the overlaying skirt pattern.
- The shuttlecock is a little heavy and goes farther than anticipated.
- Color:Yellow;Sold:12 Count badminton shuttlecocks;
- Speed:77 Grains-High Speed Badminton Balls;Flying: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Resistance to play: ★ ★...
- More Durable:Premium material and sturdy structure provide a continuously bounce and make the ball...
Yonex Mavis 350
Made in Japan, the Yonex Mavis 350 is made of closely-knit high-quality nylon that makes it more durable than the Zhenan 12-Pack Feather Shuttlecocks. It has a feather lightweight construction that further improves its flight performance.
The hardness of the skirt depends on the temperature required; therefore, the player has to consider the environment to play when buying.
- Green cap: performs at slow speeds and is ideal for environments with temperatures between 71.6ºF – 89.6ºF.
- Blue cap: performs at medium speeds and is perfect for environments with temperatures between 53.6ºF – 73.4ºF.
- Redcap: performs at fast speeds and is suitable for environments with temperatures between 32ºF – 55.4ºF.
The Yonex Mavis 350 is packed in a tube; the tube contains six top-quality shuttlecocks, which may be white or yellow. One advantage of this is you don’t have to worry about storage; when done playing, simply repack the shuttlecocks back into the tube with their heads facing down.
Unlike regular feather shuttlecocks that are only ideal for indoor use, the Yonex Mavis 350 is suitable for indoor and outdoor use. One disadvantage is that it’s relatively lower in speed than the Zhenan 12-pack advanced because of its lighter weight.
- It has a cork-based design ideal for beginners and casual games
- The quality materials used to manufacture it make it durable.
- Easily spotted in the dark because of its shiny lining.
- Unlike the Yonex Mavis 2000, it is prone to wear and tear.
- It requires a lot of energy to exert a specific move.
- The combination of close-to-feather shuttlecock flight performance and four to five times more...
- When smashed, a Mavis shuttlecock recovers in only 0.02 seconds, this performance is just 0.005...
- Players should always use the shuttlecocks best suited to the playing environment, in the cold, as...
Zhenan Feather Shuttlecock
The Zhenan Feather Shuttlecock is the best feather shuttlecock in the market. Its excellent consistency and durability are what sets it on top of the Yonex series. Because of its excellent performance and quality, it’s used in many indoor international games and tournaments.
Compared to other more expensive brands like the Yonex Mavis 2000, the Zhenan 12-pack feather shuttlecocks are inferior, yet this does not mean they are of no use.
The Zhenan 12-Pack Feather Shuttlecocks being the latest release in the series, has the most modern upgrades compared to the rest.
The consistency level of this package is better than the Yonex Mavis 350 and the Zhenan 12-pack advanced nylon feather shuttlecocks. This makes its accuracy stand above any of these shuttlecocks. Higher accuracy means that it is possible to make calculated swerves without the possibility of unexpected errors.
However, its durability does not compare to the Yonex Mavis 2000, the latter being made of high-quality nylon that can withstand impacts better. Generally, nylon shuttlecocks are more durable than feathered shuttlecocks.,
- Improved trajectory because of the feather overlay
- Made of high quality duck feathers to achieve high durability.
- You can use them in any environment.
- More than one is necessary for professional matches since it cannot withstand tough blows.
- Affected by changes in altitude and temperature.
- Sold: 12 Count badminton shuttlecocks, color is black;
- Material: Advanced Black Goose Feather,Solid Cork Head;
- 100% infrared selection of goose feathers quality, feather hair straight and thick, good strength,...
Features to Consider for the Best Shuttlecock
So you walk into a store, you want to buy the best shuttlecock for your games. Where do you start? Here are some guidelines worth considering when purchasing the best shuttlecock:
|Yonex Mavis 2000||Yonex Mavis 350||Zhenan 12-pack advanced||Zhenan 12-pack feather|
|Durability||Very durable||Durable||Not durable||Slightly Durable|
|Weight||8 grams||80 grams||180 grams||130 grams|
|Material||Nylon, Feathers||Nylon||Nylon||Goose feathers|
|Speed||Available for any speed; slow, medium, or fast||Available for any speed; slow, medium, or fast||High speed,77||Relatively low|
The speed of the shuttlecock lets a player know how far and fast it will go when hit. Traditionally, the weight of the shuttlecock was used to categorize its speed; this method was unclear and a change was required. Modern shuttlecocks take into consideration several factors before categorizing speeds.
Nylon shuttlecocks use color to differentiate speed categories:
- Green – performs at slow speeds.
- Blue – performs at medium speeds.
- Red – performs at fast speeds.
Feather shuttlecocks use numbers to differentiate speed categories:
- 74 – indicates slow speed. Mostly used in high altitude or mountainous regions
- 75 – indicates slow speed. Used in hot environments that are above sea level.
- 76 – relatively slow speed. Used in hot climates.
- 77 – indicates moderate speed. Suitable for areas at sea level.
- 78 – relatively fast – ideal for cold environments that are below sea level.
- 79 – fast, suitable for very cold environments that are below sea level.
Shuttlecocks with consecutive speeds like 74 and 75 will have a 30cm difference between them. This means that a shuttlecock with a speed of 75 will travel 30cm further when hit than one with a speed of 74.
The best choice for speed is Zhenan 12-pack advanced shuttlecocks for best results.
Factors Affecting speed
- Air Density – Air density affects the speed of a shuttlecock as it moves through the air. An area with a higher air density will mean fewer speeds, while low-density areas support high speeds. Air resistance is what slows down the shuttlecock as it moves through the air.
- Temperature – A shuttlecock moves faster in hot areas than cooler areas because an increase in temperature causes the air density to reduce, making it easier for the shuttlecock to move through the air. The opposite is also true; colder temperatures increase air density leading to reduced speeds.
- Altitude – Speeds for shuttlecocks are higher in areas of high altitude as compared to areas with low altitude. This is because the higher you go, the less the air density, meaning less air resistance.
Different materials are used to make different shuttlecocks; nylon or feather are materials that can be used to make the shuttlecock’s skirt. Foam, cork, and complex composite are materials that can be used to make the shuttlecock’s head. These different materials work better for different purposes and environments.
Weight, accuracy, flight, and speed are all affected by the type of material picked. For example, if you desire a fast shuttlecock, look for those made from light materials like feather shuttlecocks such as the Zhenan 12-pack feather shuttlecocks.
If you desire an accurate shuttlecock, look for those whose heads are made from cork.
If you play badminton a lot or are planning to play a lot, you should consider getting a very durable shuttlecock, one that can withstand the constant hints.
Choose a shuttlecock that is made from a high-quality material like Yonex Mavis 2000 shuttlecocks; nylon is an excellent example of durable material.
Unlike other versions in the Zhenan series like the ZHENAN 12-Pack Advanced Nylon Feather Shuttlecocks, the Zhenan 12-Pack Feather Shuttlecocks uses goose feathers instead of duck feathers, making it more stable and durable.
Your environment plays a significant role in the choice of your shuttlecock; different environments require different types of shuttlecocks. Nylon shuttlecocks like the Yonex Mavis 350 use colors to differentiate the best shuttlecocks for certain temperatures:
- Green – suitable for areas with temperatures between 71.6ºF – 89.6ºF
- Blue – suitable for areas with temperatures between 53.6ºF – 73.4ºF
- Red – suitable for areas with temperatures between 32ºF – 55.4ºF
The purpose intended greatly influences the choice for getting a certain shuttlecock, whether for professional games, beginners practice, or casual games.
- Beginners training: For this, you would want to purchase nylon Shutterstock such as the Yonex Mavis 2000 or Yonex Mavis 350. These are more durable and can last throughout your training.
- Casual games: If you are having friends over and want to have casual games, the Yonex Mavis 2000 is a good pick as it can take the hard hits and remain durable. Feather shuttlecocks would easily get ruined.
- Professional games: Feather shuttlecocks are recommended for any professional games or tournaments, their light nature allows them to move further when struck and are more stable in the air due to their well-distributed weight.
A good flight path is an essential attribute of any excellent shuttlecock; the flight path is measured by the rotation and trajectory of the shuttlecock.
- Rotation – a good shuttlecock, when hit, should rotate on its axis; the rotation gives it more stability and a little more speed. Rotation is an excellent way to differentiate shuttlecocks in terms of quality, with high-quality shuttlecocks like Zhenan 12-pack advanced expected to spin faster, giving more stability.
- Trajectory – When hit, a shuttlecock travels in the direction it was hit, although the air drag makes it slow and takes a steep path to the ground after some time. High-quality shuttlecocks are expected to be more resistant to air at more incredible speeds.
This, in turn, allows it to travel at a steeper angle at the end of the flight.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Feather Shuttlecocks Better Than Nylon Shuttlecocks?
Both types are great with pros and cons. Both possess more or less the same features. However, nylon shuttlecocks are best for beginners, and feathered shuttlecocks are best for competitive play, including at a professional level.
Which Brand of Shuttlecocks Is Used in the Olympics?
Being the greatest sporting event in history, the Olympics require the best standards when it comes to sporting equipment they use. Olympic badminton equipment like the shuttlecocks is provided by YONEX, who also make amazing rackets. Aerosensa brand. They produce top-quality and lightweight feather shuttlecocks.
Why Do They Make White Plastic Shuttlecocks?
The shuttlecocks are made white to improve visibility, especially for outdoor events; a white shuttlecock is easy to spot. It also makes it harder to lose the shuttlecocks in the grassy fields since white as a color stands out.
A proper shuttlecock should fulfill its purpose of purchase and help you get the best results when you play. Using the above-recommended shuttlecocks as a guideline, be sure to buy the best for you.