As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Soccer cleats are necessary for playing soccer. Without them, you won’t be able to move easily around the court. Soccer cleats provide traction for movement and safety from foot injuries.
As a player, you need to know how long soccer cleats last so you can replace them if needed. Getting broken cleats in the middle of the game may cost you a win or even an injury.
- How Long Do Soccer Cleats Last?
- How to Determine When You Need New Cleats
- Do Soccer Players Wear New Cleats Every Game?
- Related Questions
How Long Do Soccer Cleats Last?
Soccer is a high-intensity team sport that involves constant running. An official game lasts for over ninety minutes. If you’re playing soccer more than 3 times a week, your soccer cleats will have a lifespan of about 1-2 soccer seasons.
It’s important to know the lifespan of your soccer cleats. You might end up with broken cleats during a game and no spare ones.
How Often Should Soccer Cleats be Replaced?
Some players like to keep their old worn-out soccer cleats for years. Some also change their cleats after every season. If you’re feeling your soccer cleats don’t have enough traction or are affecting your ability to perform well during a game, consider replacing them with a reliable pair of soccer cleats.
There are also factors that affect soccer cleats usability. These are:
- Material of the Soccer Cleats: Depending on what materials your soccer cleats are made of, they’ll last for about 5-6 months. They’re usually made from leather or synthetic materials.
- Size and Design: The size and design of your soccer cleats can affect their lifespan. Lightweight soccer cleats are usually preferred by players. They are also the fastest to wear out.
- Where You Play: The surface area of the field you are playing on can affect the durability of your soccer cleats. If you’re playing on a field with some rocks and uneven surface, chances are your soccer cleats won’t last long.
- Playing Time: How long do you play in a game? How many times do you play in a week? The more you play, the less your soccer cleats will last. This is true, especially if you move a lot in the field. All things naturally have their limits.
How to Determine When You Need New Cleats
|Good cleats||Broken cleats|
|They feel comfortable||They feel uncomfortable to wear|
|They are in good conditions||They have tears|
|Your feet remain untouched||Your feet end up getting damaged|
If you feel like your soccer cleats are making you uncomfortable, then you should consider changing or “shrinking” your soccer cleats to get the right fit. You also have to be aware of how you perform every game. Wearing old soccer cleats may decrease your performance on the field.
The first sign of damage for soccer cleats is when there’s a tear between the vamp and the outsole. This is a sign that the top of your soccer cleats is splitting apart.
Most soccer players change their cleats for these 3 reasons:
- Uncomfortable soccer cleats. After prolonged use, soccer cleats can sometimes feel uncomfortable on your feet. They may have become tighter or too loose. This could cause an injury to your feet. In this case, you’re better off getting new ones.
- Cracks in the leather. Using your soccer cleats on rainy days or wet fields can cause the leather to crack when it dries. It can even separate from the sole. You don’t want your shoe flying off as you try to kick the ball. This might hit other players and is dangerous when you are wearing metal studs.
- New ones. New soccer cleats offer the best quality and durability you can find. Soccer players just like to collect them. Having two or more pairs of soccer cleats means you can alternately use them so they don’t wear out as fast.
Do Soccer Players Wear New Cleats Every Game?
Soccer players don’t wear new cleats every game. Wearing new shoes sometimes makes you feel uncomfortable as your feet are still adjusting to them. New shoes also tend to be hard and sturdy. Professional players like flexibility in their shoes so they prefer soft ones.
Professional soccer players wear new soccer cleats during training. This is to help them get comfortable with their new shoes come game time. This also helps soften up the shoes for more comfortable wear during games.
Some players also don’t tend to change their soccer cleats based on superstition. Professional players oftentimes don’t change their soccer cleats when they’re on a scoring streak.
Here are some frequently asked questions about soccer cleats.
What are the Most Durable Soccer Cleats?
Since soccer players have diverse care habits for their soccer cleats, measuring durability is difficult. Soccer cleats made of hard materials are extremely durable. They are, however, not preferred by all soccer players. Since they are heavy to maneuver around the field, their performance suffers.
The most long-lasting ones are determined by your compatibility with the soccer cleats. Nowadays, professional players favor lightweight soccer cleats because they provide lightness and traction when moving around the pitch. Major shoe makers such as Nike and Adidas have followed suit with this lightweight design, fueling its popularity boom.
Do More Expensive Soccer Cleats Last Longer?
This highly depends on the brand and quality of the manufacturer. Just because a cleat is expensive, it doesn’t mean that it will be durable. However, in most cases, expensive cleats are better made than others.
How Do You Make Soccer Cleats Last Longer?
If you want to take care of your cleats, you need to avoid wearing rough, or wet socks. On top of that, you need to allow them to dry and keep them in a dry place. This is because humidity might affect them.
When it comes to soccer, cleats are an essential part of the game, after all, they give you mobility and better traction. Therefore, you need to choose the pair that fits your style the most, and take care of them.