As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The hitting percentage is one of those statistics kept under a close track for the analysis of the game. Calculating the hitting percentage is essential for the coaches and other officials during the game to improve their gameplay in the future. Now the question arises what is a good hitting percentage in volleyball.
- What Is a Good Hitting Percentage in Volleyball?
- Frequently Asked Questions
What Is a Good Hitting Percentage in Volleyball?
0.300 is considered an excellent hitting percentage in volleyball; the percentage that lies in the range of 0.300-0.200 is regarded as an average count, but anything below 0.100 is considered below average, but it means the player is still hitting the ball.
In this article, we will discuss how to track the percentage and why it is calculated in the first place.
How to Calculate the Hitting Percentage?
Before understanding the reason behind calculating the hitting percentage, it is important to understand how to calculate the hitting percentage in the first place.
- The calculation is made by tallying the total no. of kills and subtracting the hitting errors, divided by the total number of attacks made during the game.
- The formula looks something like this: (K-E)/TA= PCT
Where the variables defined are defined with volleyball terms:
TA= Total Number of Attacks
PCT= The Final Hitting Percentage
- While tracking each kill is denoted by a + sign, and each error is denoted by a – sign, the attacks that are kept into play are denoted by a 0.
The Reasons Behind Calculating the Hitting Percentage
Since we are familiar with the methodology of calculating the hitting percentage, now it is time to get familiar with the reasons behind calculating the hitting percentage in the first place:
- First, the hitting percentage is not just a stat, but it highlights the hitting efficiency. A player needs to be aware of their hitting efficiency to improvise it for future games.
- Second, the coaches are the ones who do all the calculations, as it helps them to work on their strategies and improve the play of their players.
- Third, the calculation helps to know how many kills the attacker can get, as nobody wants an attacker who cannot get a kill during the game.
- Finally, knowing your hitting percentage gives you an edge in making a strategy against your opposing team.
Most competitive teams work towards getting a hitting percentage of 0.300, but achieving the goal is a complex process that demands dedication and consistency.
Hitting Percentage Is Not the Only Factor
In the above points, calculating the hitting percentage is vital to the team. Still, it is essential to understand that hitting percentage is not the only factor that plays a massive role in improving the gameplay.
- Sometimes certain team members might have good chemistry but still happen to achieve a mediocre hitting percentage.
- The calculations do not affect the newbies but certainly affect the advanced players, as they hold more experience.
- Sometimes you may start with a nasty streak, and your hitting percentage might be a bit low; that does not mean you are a terrible player.
- The measurements can be considered a reflection of the skill when the sample size of plays is quite large.
The players shouldn’t stress over the calculations and focus more on their growth as a team.
A Deeper Insight to the Hitting Percentage
We have discussed the great, average, and below-average hitting percentage, but what happens when the percentage is 0. Here we will provide a deeper insight into the hitting percentage highlighting this situation.
- When the hitting percentage is 0, it indicates a wash that means the player is not losing the team any points but also not scoring any.
- The player might not bring you inspiring scores but is eligible for growth in the game.
- A negative hitting percentage is when your team gets into trouble. It means the attackers are making violations and losing points.
The hitting percentage is continuously tracked for old experienced players rather than the new ones.
Hitting Percentage Depending On Different Positions
When it comes to forming a game strategy, the hitting percentage cannot be ignored. Thus, some pointers highlight the hitting percentage depending on the different positions of the players on the court.
- Sometimes the players feel that they need to go for a kill by swinging the ball rather than blocking it. It can result in unforced errors, and you can end up losing points.
- By highlighting the hitting percentage on the board, these errors are avoided, and the players think with the team’s vision.
- Each player will start aiming for the appropriate hitting percentage depending on the zone they are playing in.
- The hitting percentage of the overall team should be 300, the middle blockers should aim for 400, and the percentage of the opposite side should be 250.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is a Tip Considered a Kill in Volleyball?
If the ball is over the net and the two players manage to hit the ball over the other, it is definitely a kill if it touches the ground. There is no rule that only spikes can get you kills; sometimes, a tip can also get you one even though it is quite rare.
Which Apps Are Good for Calculating the Stats in Volleyball?
The names of the apps that are good for mapping and calculating the stats for volleyball are as follows:
- Solo Stats
- Assistant Coach Volleyball
- Volleyball Ace Stats
An excellent hitting percentage is required for a team to enter the competitive list, but don’t be disheartened if you aren’t there yet. Just work hard with full dedication, and you will get there soon. Plan a strategy as a team, practice drills daily, have healthy nutrition, and last but not least, believe in yourself, as that is what will motivate you.