As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Soccer has been an enjoyable sport that can be played by just about anyone. However, the problem for many of us is finding the right size soccer ball to play with. So, what size soccer ball should I get?
- What Size Soccer Ball Should I Get?
- Different Types of Soccer Ball Sizes
- Frequently Asked Questions
What Size Soccer Ball Should I Get?
A size 1 soccer ball is suitable for all ages and abilities with larger fields to play on. Older players may find this size lighter and easier to manage the speed and direction of kicks compared to a bigger size.
Luckily for you, we’ve put together this Soccer Ball Size Guide. It will come in handy suppose you want to buy a new soccer ball this year; you’ll know which size will be best.
Things To Consider First
The size of a soccer ball is based on age and gender. A proper fit will help you play better and make the game more fun as well.
For children (under 13), use their height to determine which size they should get. A good goal would be for them to kick the ball into the net without any problems.
For adult women, use your shoe size as a guide for which soccer ball you should get. An official match soccer ball is roughly 22 inches in circumference. If you are male and playing with other guys regularly, 26-inch balls will work fine.
Different Types of Soccer Ball Sizes
There are mainly four variations of soccer balls when it comes to size. Namely, from the biggest to smallest:
- Size 5 soccer balls (Biggest)
- Size 4 soccer balls
- Size 3 soccer balls
- Size 1 soccer balls (Smallest)
Another not-so-common size is a size 2 soccer ball.
Size 5 Soccer Balls
For children who are over the age of 12, this is a perfect size to go with. Keep in mind that these soccer balls tend to be more narrow than other sizes, so it may take a little bit of time to adjust for some players.
Size five soccer balls have a circumference that’s roughly 27 – 28 inches. These are the most commonly used soccer balls because they’re lightweight, affordable, and match what’s considered an official match ball.
- An excellent option for all ages with larger fields
- Ideal for older players who want a lighter ball to manage the speed and direction of their kicks.
- Better for practicing long passes and shots. Large balls can be easily kicked long distances without much spin, making it easier to pass to teammates.
- Better for shooting and trapping (longer-lasting, less likely to pop). Larger balls tend to be more durable than smaller ones.
- It is not suitable for children under 13 years old, who are still growing and learning the basics of soccer.
- Much heavier than a size 4 and requires more effort to kick. This makes it difficult for players to make quick and short passes and can tire out their muscles quickly.
- It requires more precise kicking due to its weight. Players may have a more challenging time controlling the ball when dribbling.
- Most leagues require youth players to use size 4 balls.
Size 4 Soccer Balls
It’s perfect for those between ages 8 and 12 and want a little bit bigger ball to play with. This size will feel more familiar to them if they’ve played soccer before. However, it would be best to keep in mind that younger players may have difficulty controlling this ball.
Size four soccer balls have a circumference of roughly 25 – 26 inches. This is also the perfect size for futsal balls, which are heavier, so they’re easier to control on hardcourts.
- Lighter than size 5, making it easier to kick long distances
- Easier to control and dribble while being kicked
- Better for short passes while maintaining a long field of vision
- More durable than size 5, requiring less maintenance
- Inexpensive and good quality material
- Not suitable for goalkeepers since the ball has too much bounce and speed
- It may be too slow for older players since size 4 ball has less bounce than larger sizes
Size 3 Soccer Balls
The circumference of this sized ball is between 23 and 24 inches. It’s suitable for players 7 years of age and younger.
Junior players will love to play with the Size 3 soccer ball. It’s great for beginners and smaller kids because it is super light, so they can control their shots easily without feeling like there’s too much weight on them.
- Easier to control than a bigger ball for first-time players
- May encourage younger players to approach the ball and kick it freely
- May help develop proper techniques, confidence, and fitness in young players
- It lacks durability.
Size 1 Soccer Balls
It has a circumference of 18 – 20 inches. The size 1 soccer ball is a great first choice for toddlers or young players, as it has a perfect weight and feel to help them learn how to play. The color makes this ball stand out from other balls.
- Easier to control for smaller players, especially children under the age of 6
- Less intimidating for younger or less experienced players
- Not preferred for soccer league games.
Here’s a video to wrap on what size soccer ball you should get.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Size Soccer Ball Is Best For Children Under The Age Of Six?
This depends on your child’s needs, but most often they’ll, they’ll prefer a smaller-sized soccer ball. A size 1 soccer ball will be more suitable.
Which Country Makes Most Soccer Balls?
The city of Sialkot in Pakistan is one of the most important cities for soccer ball production. They make more than half of all soccer balls globally.
Soccer balls come in many different sizes, and it’s essential to purchase one that will work for you. If you’re not sure which soccer ball is going to be best, don’t worry. You can consult a professional at a local sporting store to make sure you’re making the right choice.